As part of the Keep ‘Em Together, KC initiative, KC Pet Project offers a temporary care program for families in need of a temporary home for their pets.
The purpose of the Home Away from Home program is to provide temporary care for pets to reunite them with their families following a crisis.
Home Away from Home Program Eligibility
Reasons acceptable for participation in the Home Away from Home Program include, but are not limited to:
- The owner and animal(s) are displaced from their home due to a natural disaster.
- The owner is the victim of domestic violence.
- The owner is temporarily hospitalized for medical treatment or rehabilitation.
- The owner and animal(s) are facing a temporary change in housing due to an extenuating circumstance such as the owner’s illness or loss of housing such as eviction or foreclosure.
Home Away from Home Program Qualifications:
- Applicants must be Kansas City, Missouri, residents – proof of residency may be required.
- Animals must be spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccinations, and microchipped. If the animals do not meet these qualifications, the Applicant must authorize KC Pet Project to perform these services prior to the animals entering into the program.
- Applicants must agree to provide all requested documentation including vaccination records, medical information, care information, and behavior information for each animal.
- Applicants must agree to the terms of the Home Away from Home Crisis Boarding Program.
- Applications are initially approved for a time frame of 30-days.
- Applicants may apply for an extension of 30-days, so long as they find additional support with an outside social service agency.
- Applicant’s participation in the program must not exceed 90-days.
KC Pet Project cannot guarantee placement for accepted applications within our program, despite our best efforts. As Kansas City’s municipal shelter, placement for pets enrolled in this program depends solely on the availability, skills, and willingness of our approved foster homes.