KC Pet Project Youth Leadership Board
Youth Leadership Board Mission: To share the mission of KC Pet Project and its SNAP program by developing young leaders, bringing together generations, supporting senior pet companionship, and raising awareness of the responsibility of pet ownership throughout our community.
As a founding member of the Youth Leadership Board, you will be an important part of the KC Pet Project team and a visible pet advocate and role model in our city! KC Pet Project is committed to supporting you as a ‘Leader of Today’ and an ambassador for pets as you strive to educate and engage people on pet care and adoption in your school, community, and city. Monthly KC Pet Project Youth Leadership Board meetings will feature KC leaders and pet advocates working directly with YOU! You will collaborate as a YLB to develop project ideas for your schools as well as social media storytelling strategies that will change how people view pet adoption. Your student voice and student leadership will impact our KC pets forever! You will have opportunities as a board member to walk pets, assist with adoption, lend your voice and skills at special events, job shadow at the shelter, take shelter pets to visit senior homes, and so much more. What positive ideas for connecting pets and humans might the youth leadership board advance across KC? We can’t wait to find out!
About the Youth Leadership Board
The KC Pet Project Youth Leadership Board members are high school students who are interested in becoming more involved in their school and community. Board participation provides the student with information about KC Pet Project and SNAP that they can share with their school peers, faculty, and families.
To learn more about the SNAP Program, click here.
Expectations and Responsibilities of a KC Pet Project Youth Leadership Board member:
- Serve as liaison to their school
- Help with recruitment of youth volunteers for events and support of programs
- Attend monthly Saturday morning Board meetings
- Attend Committee meetings as needed at your schools
- Contribute to the decision making process and help establish goals for the Youth program as a whole
- Attend and help plan fundraising events
- Attend and actively participate in 2 community service projects per semester
- Serve two year term on Youth Leadership Board
- Make a financial contribution to KC Pet Project.*
*By personally supporting the board with a very small financial contribution, the members will feel invested and an increased sense of pride and ownership. There is no minimum amount required; members are encouraged to give to the best of their ability.
Youth Board Timeline:
- Applications for Youth Leadership Board due to KC Pet Project by 5pm on May 20th.
- May 16 – June 14th – Interviews scheduled and conducted with Youth Leadership Board Committee for KC Pet Project
- June 15th – Board members selected for 2016-2017 school year.
- July 2016 – Youth Leadership Board orientation
- August 2016 – Monthly meetings begin