I found a stray animal in Kansas City, MO. What do I do now?
Resources for Reuniting Strays with Their Owners
Helping a lost pet find its way home directly is the best for both the pet and its owner. Here are some tips for finding their home.
- Fill out Found Pet Form on our website.
- Check that pet for a microchip. Most veterinary offices can scan for a microchip as well as any KC Pet Project adoption center.
- Post picture of pet and location they were found on social media pages and on FindingRover.com. Encourage friends to share the picture to help locate owner.
- Post to neighborhood groups, Swap and Shop pages, and Nextdoor app.
- Post lost pet to Craigslist.
- Put up Found Pet flyers in your neighborhood
- If you’ve found a litter of kittens, it’s best to leave them in the area with the mom who is caring with them. Check out Alley Cat Allies for resources to care for the litter and check out Spay Neuter Kansas City for resources to get the cats altered.
You can call Kansas City, MO Animal Control at 816-513-1313 or 311 to report a roaming animal or to pick up a stray pet in Kansas City, MO. Animal Control does not pick up healthy or outdoor cats or kittens. For wildlife inquiries, please go to the Lakeside Nature Center website.
Drop Off Strays at KC Pet Project
KC Pet Project accepts stray pets found in Kansas City, MO during normal business hours only at our main shelter location at 4400 Raytown Road, Kansas City, MO 64129. We are open to the public from Noon-6pm Monday-Saturday and from Noon-5pm on Sundays. There is a $20 drop off fee per animal for any drop offs and please bring a valid photo ID. This fee is mandated by Kansas City, MO ordinance and helps the shelter cover the cost of food and medical care for the pet. The pet will be held for at least 5 days on stray hold period to give an owner a chance to reclaim that pet. According to Kansas City, MO ordinance, if a pet is in your possession for three consecutive days, it is considered your pet, and you would then need to make an owner surrender appointment.
Note: We do not accept pets at any other KC Pet Project adoption centers. Only at the main shelter location.
Please check our Lost Pet Resources for other ideas and suggestions.