Volunteer Program Mission Statement
The mission of the Volunteer Program at the Kansas City Pet Project is to provide a fulfilling experience to the volunteer and provide necessary assistance where needed at KCPP. Volunteers are one of our most valuable resources, and with your commitment and assistance we will work together to make the organization successful in promoting animal welfare, providing public education on the proper care and treatment of animals and giving shelter animals some much needed love and attention.
If you are interested in volunteering at the shelter you must fit the below requirements:
- At least 16 years old or older or supervised by supervisor/guardian
- Have a working email account
- Must be able to purchase volunteer attire and wear every time that you volunteer (sweatshirt $15, and t-shirts will arrive in the spring)
- Must have interest in helping animals become successful pets
- Mature and respectful attitude is required while at shelter at all times
- Support the Kansas City Pet Project mission
*We cannot accommodate volunteers with criminal records that include felonies, any charges involved with theft, abuse, or cruelty to animals.
Current KCPP Volunteer Needs
- Transport Volunteers – Volunteer while driving a pet to a rescue, the vet office, heartworm treatment etc. We will load your car up with a kennel and the pet, and send you off with directions, this can be one of the easiest ways to volunteer but also one of the most needed here at the shelter. * Transport Volunteers do not need to attend an orientation. Please call KCPP’s Volunteer Coordinator at 816.513.9829 if you are interested.
- Special Event Volunteers – Would you like to volunteer outside of the shelter? Do you have skills in PR and marketing? If so, please help KCPP market our wonderful adoptable animals around the city at off site adoption events! Assist with setting up, taking down, and showing off adoptable pets to the public.
- Walking and Socializing Dogs – We are always looking for volunteers to give their time and energy to our dogs that are waiting for some one on one love and attention. We are especially in need of volunteers who can serve time during the week, rain or shine!
If any of the above jobs interest you, please click on How To Volunteer (left) to learn how to get started volunteering!
Thank you for your interest in changing a KCPP pet’s life, we are excited for you to join us!
For a list of orientation dates, please click here.
To Volunteer at Kansas City Pet Project
Step 1 – Attend an orientation at the shelter. Approx 1 hour long. (Orientation will take place in our shelter garage – space is limited, so please expect to stand and dress warm). See dates for our next volunteer orientations.
Step 2 – Attend a training session for Cat Socialization or Dog Socialization – Volunteers must attend a training session prior to hands on interaction with any shelter animal. (Dog training will take place immediately following orientation, and cat trainings can be scheduled at a later time)
Step 3 – Commit to 1-2 hour shifts per week for 3 months (minimum), Must agree and sign a “Liability Waiver” and ” Code of Ethics” prior to volunteering
Step 4 - Volunteer and make a difference in a pets life. Volunteers can start volunteering immediately!
Please contact us if you have any questions at:
Kelly.Walsh@kcmo.org or (816) 513-9829
- Dog and Cat Socializer – Socialize with pets to reduce their stress, keep them company, and show them love that they need while in the shelter. Socialize, train, and exercise furry residents of the shelter.
- Special Events – Adoption, fundraising, and PR events
- Donation Drives – Collecting funds and goods for the shelter and animals
- Adoption Event Help – Assist staff with adoption events at various local businesses
- Donation Pickups – Collect and pick up donations at various places
- Office Assistance – Help with paperwork and misc. office work
- Miscellaneous – What are your talents? What can you offer KCPP? Please tell us, we are always looking for individuals with special talents who can help with various projects. Let us know!
We get several requests from groups wanting to volunteer. Unfortunately, our facility does not lend itself to large groups very well! If you have a group that is interested in volunteering there are a few things to keep in mind:
We encourage off-site events for larger groups! There are more options like hosting donation drives, charity sporting events, car washes, bake sales and more. This is a fantastic way for groups to get involved and make a difference in the animals’ lives outside of the space constraints at the shelter.
Large groups can also be utilized for large-scale cleaning or organizational projects but these happen rarely. These projects also generally occur in the spring and fall when weather is most cooperative.
Large groups take planning. We need to know at least 2 weeks in advance and we cannot guarantee we will have an on-site project for you, but we will see if our needs match your group’s interests.
Some companies also offer donations on top of volunteer hours when documented and submitted. Please check into this, or let us know if you think this is an option for you and your group. Our animals would really appreciate it!
If you have any questions or need help with hosting an event, please feel free to contact us.
What can you do from home?
Foster Parent/Family – You can become a foster family for a pet from KCPP. Our foster program is coming soon! Fostering is full time volunteering!
At-home Projects - Check out the links listed below for some fun at home projects that can really make a difference for our animals.